I’ve been on an amber ale streak for awhile so I am breaking the cycle with a lighter 1 gallon beer recipe today. Of course that’s what I’m thinking but you never know what these brews end up looking like until a week or so into the fermentation process.
I drank some lovely lavender infused sparkling water yesterday and it reminded me of my somewhat disastrous attempt at making lavender beer last year. So I broke out the dried lavender flowers and decided to give it another try. I added an equal amount of Jasmine flowers. May the best flower win.
This brew marks my first time adding Irish moss to the mix. Irish moss is supposed to help break down the proteins during the fermentation process to make the final result more clear. We’ll see what happens.
Ingredients for a 1 gallon beer recipe:
1 gallon water
1 lb. Light dry malt extract
2 grams Simcoe hops
1 gram dried Jasmine flowers
1 gram Lavender flowers
A pinch of dried licorice root
A pinch of Irish moss
Safbrew S33 yeast
The brewing process:
Boil water with a pinch of licorice root.
After water comes to a boil, turn off the stove.
Carefully dissolve the dry malt extract in the water.
Turn stove back on and add hops.
Boil for 30 minutes.
Add lavender, jasmine and irish moss.
Boil 5 more minutes.
Cover the stock pot and cool to 70 degrees using an ice bath.
Filter into the fermenting vessel.
Add 1/3 packet or so of yeast.
Oxygenate the wort by either covering and shaking the jug or use a sanitized latte wand if you are using a fermenting bucket.
Fill sanitized airlock with vodka, water or sanitizer and insert into the fermenting vessel.
As you noticed, I also added a pinch of licorice root to this brew. I was very pleased with my last use of it as a featured ingredient and after further research discovered that it is often added to beer for better head retention. So I am going to add a pinch into a few more beer recipes to see if that’s the case.
Live and learn.
After one day the bubbling activity inside the fermenting bucket went crazy. Things were looking good. Then the next day all activity came to a dead halt. I think I might’ve had a stuck fermentation or something went wrong because we suddenly had a spike of heat here in Southern California. I decided to add a half a teaspoon of yeast energizer and more yeast. This time I used some of the grab yeast that I’ve mentioned before. I’ve been out of town for two days and everything still seems quiet. On the plus side, when I returned from my business trip my home smelled like a lovely lavender jasmine mash-up. We’ll see…